Beautiful’ girl, 2, dies after choking on piece of sausage while at nursery

Beautiful’ girl, 2, dies after choking on piece of sausage while at nursery

A two-year-old girl died after choking on a sausage at nursery.

Sadie Salt was rushed to St Mary’s Hospital paediatric Intensive Care Unit in Paddington, London when she stopped breathing at her nursery in Radlett, Hertfordshire.

The toddler had been eating a piece of sausage at lunchtime when she began to choke.

Despite the best efforts of medical staff, two days later on November 14, Sadie died.

A fundraising page has been set up for children’s intensive care charity COSMIC on behalf of family members Zoe, Adam, Zachary and Joshua following her tragic death.

“We are devastated to have lost our beautiful Sadie on Saturday 14th November,” a tribute on the page reads.

“Sadie spent two days in St Mary’s Hospital paediatric ICU where the care she, mummy and daddy received was incredible.

“The team at the ICU are beyond amazing and the care for Sadie and the support for us was outstanding!

“They do an amazing job and fully deserve all the support they can get.

“They took tremendous care of our Sadie and us and nothing was too much to make us all feel loved, cared for and supported.”

Sadie’s organs were donated following her death.

The tribute continues: “We are in terrible pain as we suffer the untimely loss of our daughter and sister, but the huge support of love from you all has been overwhelming.

“We are so proud to tell you that she was able to help others by donating vital organs to go on and save lives.”

Friends of the Salt family Darren Ruback and Claire Nicole have launched a petition calling for sausages and grapes to be banned from nursery meals.

“Our friends have lost their baby,” the pair wrote.

“Our baby has lost his friend. Two young boys have lost their little sister.

“We are fully aware that accidents happen but things can also be put in place to prevent these accidents occurring.

“Sausages are renowned for their awkward shape and tough skin, thus making it extra challenging for small children to chew.

“Grapes fall into the same category.

“We are appealing to get sausages and grapes banned from all nursery settings ASAP so no other family has to go through the devastation and heartbreak that so many people have felt this weekend.”

vvkureorg